If we meet and you forget me you have lost
nothing. But if you meet JESUS CHRIST and forget
Him You have lost everything.
you have lost nothing.
But if you meet JESUS CHRIST
and forget Him
You have lost everything.
Jesus talks about His concerns of the disciples in
They were confused; he encouraged them to trust. They needed to anchor that trust in Jesus. He indicated that he and the Father would prepare a place for them while he was gone, but that he would return to gather them. The disciples could not comprehend Jesus’ comments about leaving. Their question about his destination enabled Jesus to identify himself not only as their eternal companion, but also as the very means for them to see the Father. He claimed to be the unique and ultimate resource when he said: “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me” (14:6 niv). Characteristically, the disciples responded to Jesus’ revelation with a question that reveals how inadequately they grasped Jesus’ divine nature.
In answering them, Jesus described four aspects of his unique identity:
- Jesus and the Father share characteristics in such a way that anyone who has seen one has also seen the other.
- Jesus and the Father are united in such a way that Jesus could speak of either of them being “in” the other.
- Jesus gives special abilities to those who trust him to accomplish even greater signs than the disciples had already seen.
- Requests to God made in Jesus’ name will be answered.
After this intimate opening dialogue, the Last Supper discourse began. The next several chapters have been among the most treasured of those who follow Jesus. They not only draw us close to him; they also give us compelling reasons to invite others into that fellowship with our Savior. By recording this private discussion between Jesus and his disciples, John hoped to attract all people to Jesus.
John 14 NIV
- “Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me.
- In my Father’s house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you.
- And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.
- You know the way to the place where I am going.”
- Thomas said to him, “Lord, we don’t know where you are going, so how can we know the way?”
- Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
- If you really knew me, you would know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him.”
- Philip said, “Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us.”
- Jesus answered: “Don’t you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’?
- Don’t you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you are not just my own. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work.
- Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the miracles themselves.
- I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father.
- And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father.
- You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.
- “If you love me, you will obey what I command.
- And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever—
- the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be£ in you.
- I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you.
- Before long, the world will not see me anymore, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live.
- On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you.
- Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him.”
- Then Judas (not Judas Iscariot) said, “But, Lord, why do you intend to show yourself to us and not to the world?”
- Jesus replied, “If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching. My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him.
- He who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me.
- “All this I have spoken while still with you.
- But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.
- Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.
- “You heard me say, ‘I am going away and I am coming back to you.’ If you loved me, you would be glad that I am going to the Father, for the Father is greater than I.
- I have told you now before it happens, so that when it does happen you will believe.
- I will not speak with you much longer, for the prince of this world is coming. He has no hold on me,
- but the world must learn that I love the Father and that I do exactly what my Father has commanded me. “Come now; let us leave.
Our latest Christian website.